Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fight the power!

This morning I marched with the school parents into the mayors office, to talk about the change in teachers. There were about 30 of us, and we filled up the room of the guy we were talking to, who seemed like he felt pressured into doing something. But it appears he will be looking into the matter for us, and we should have an answer by Monday. He seemed pretty positive that the principal of the school will stay, which bodes well for the library. The community kind of told me to give him an ultimatum that what I was bringing wouldn't actually happen unless they did as the community asked, so I had a few minutes to tell him about what I was doing and why I was there with them, and I think it helped.

But so far we have no definite answer, it was clear how little he wanted to take ownership of the situation. I didn't really know his position, but he was in the office of community development. We would have talked to the mayor, but he was 'sick' and not in his office. (in quotation marks because everyone else doubted the truthfulness)

More news on Monday then.

No comments:

Post a Comment