Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Getting Started, and new opinions.

A different opinion, and questions about it. As soon as I arrived, after telling people what my plans were, I started getting a lot of feedback. The strongest opinion (first from Cesar but later from others) was that I should be spending money on computers instead of on books, because not only can you read from computers but they’re useful for a lot of other things too. And they could be used by more of the community because they can target everyone. I also found out that because Siguatepeque is the only zone in the whole country where every village is connected to electricity, the national government has elected to provide and pay for internet in any school that wants it.

A good computer costs around $400. Don’t know yet on the software prices or anti-virus programs or anything. Good thing I have Cesar (my friend Jose’s brother-in-law who owns a café in town) around though, because he knows how to run an internet café.

Some of the worries with computers definitely start with security. And then upkeep. Kind of related, especially because a lot of the upkeep will be from keeping the computers secure from thieves as well as viruses and the like. I saw in the municipal budget that they plan on building a wall around the school. That would help with security a little bit. But it still wouldn’t be easy. I heard somewhere (I cant quite remember exactly or from who) that people in the community said that they would pay for security. I definitely don’t know that for sure though. I don’t think its easy to keep all the computers in good condition either. Especially because I doubt that anyone around there has any real experience with computers.

I’m still waiting to talk to Gladis, the principal of the school. I went up this morning (for the second time) and there was no one there. I called Gladis and she told me to come tomorrow morning. I think her opinion is the most important at this point. In the past, she has told me that the school would really appreciate some computers, but I don’t know if in talking about the logistics and difficulties of it she would change her mind.

At this point what I am most seriously considering is doing a mix of both, which, as my mom pointed out, is how most modern libraries are now. As such, I would buy maybe 3 computers and then spend the rest of the money on books. I am considering focusing the library on younger children, so as not to spread it too thin over all of the ages. However, reading levels are not very high; except for the youngest almost all of the students can read, but not extremely well. But I’m debating whether putting only easy books would put an artificial ceiling on reading levels. Is it better to have a lot more books at a levels kids can read, or better to have more levels so they eventually read more complicated stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment